Friday, April 14, 2017

Week 10

It is that time, ladies and gentlemen.

The final week is upon us. It has been a wild ride, and I thank you all for joining me on this journey.

A journey through space and time

But enough romance for the time being. This week was a good week. Besides almost losing my insides during a basketball game on Wednesday, it was great.  Monday and Wednesday were special testing days, so I did many OCTs and Fundus photos. Tuesday and Friday were visual fields, and Thursday was laser day. Wednesday was packed… and when I say packed… I mean PACKED. There were moments when I lost all hope and I did not think I could survive (jk rofl lol). The weird waves of charts were no slouch though. Twice it went from zero charts to seven and it took over an hour just to catch up. Let's just say McDonald’s was not a wise choice for such a fast-paced and stressful day.

A large part of the week I spent making a draft of my presentation. It was interesting because I had to balance the work aspect and the research aspect of my project. The testing is an important part of what we do here at Swagel-Wooton, but it does not help with the study directly. Patient care is of utmost importance, so I always had to put the technician work first before the internship/research. Luckily, I had most of the data input done before I started the Senior Project, so it was not too much of a hassle to do both.

I thought this was a cool picture :)
My main goal for this entire experience was for… well… the experience. I wanted to embed myself in the research process as much as I could, and the combination of working as a technician and statistically analyzing the iStent and SLT were perfect for that. I can now go into college with a rare knowledge of what it is like to work in a medical office as a technician and to also know the ins-and-outs of medical research.

I will continue working at the eye center up until the month of June, but I will take a step back and only work part-time. The summers are less hectic because all the snowbirds leave, so they will not need me as much. I love working here, and I love everyone that works here. They are all amazing people and I cannot think of a better way to spend a summer then working with them.


Thank you for sticking with me through this journey and I hope you guys can make it to my presentation!




11 comments:

  1. Hi Brent! Thank you for taking me along with you on your journey to find a cure. I will try my best to make it to the presentation. I am happy to hear that the hard work for your project is over and all you have to do now is make the presentation and it's good that you like the internship and get to continue it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello! thank you for taking me along your journey. i'm glad i was able to kind of able to experience what's it's like in a medical office through your blogs. you have helped me more for my thoughts about the future and i wish you good luck for college and your future at the office!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog posts were awesome and I really liked them!! I can't wait for your final blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Brent! I really enjoyed and was interested by your blog these past few weeks. I'm looking forward to reading your final post next week. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Brent!! Its exciting to see all the way that you have come in this project. I'm looking forward to reading your final post next week however it'll be sad to know its over. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Brent! It's great to see how far you've come with this project, and how much experience you've gained! It was a really fun ten weeks, and I still wish you the best of luck, even though your posts may be coming to a close!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Brent! It must be really exciting for you to come to an end to this amazing project. I am looking forward to your final post, and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have come so far Brent. Week 1 seemed like just yesterday, and now, now we are all grown up. Your project has inspired me to really open up my eyes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been great reading your blog every week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Brent! It's awesome to hear you've enjoyed your senior project experience this much! It was fun for me to follow your blog and learn about everything you learned about too. Good luck for your presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Brent! It's good to hear that you have enjoyed your experience doing the project and research. I also enjoyed reading your posts every week. Looking forward to your final post and good luck for your presentation!!

    ReplyDelete