Friday, April 7, 2017

Week 9

Hello all!

Goals

This week was quite a bit slower than last week, but that allowed me to make good progress on my project. On Monday, I was in Special Testing running the OCT scans and Fundus photos. On Thursday, I was walking patients in and out of their laser surgeries, either YAGs or SLTs. The rest of the week was dedicated to visual fields, which are perfect circumstances to finish obtaining the necessary data. I finished all of the two-year follow up for the patients I am including in the presentation on May 6th. Since I cannot use all the patients in the study for the two-year follow up (the latest surgeries were June 2015), I will use the patients who followed up until today, so about half the total patient population.

More on the data, I revised the surgeries all the patients had. I checked to see if the patients underwent other glaucoma surgeries, such as other SLTs, iStent surgeries for the SLT patients, Xen Gel (a brand new procedure that I barely understand), G6/CPC laser (another procedure that I barely understand), and the like. Cataract surgery could theoretically decrease the pressure, but no patients had a cataract surgery after their glaucoma surgery.

A funny thing about when I do the visual fields is that I always manage to be a little late. Whether I think I am supposed to be doing special testing, or I am caught up trying to learn another technician-specific job, I end up getting to the VFs later than I am supposed to. Luckily, I am doing something productive so it’s not a complete waste of time. Also, patients seem to like me so they do not complain about waiting a little bit once they arrive, VFs being the first test they do.

Enough said.

I focused on learning how to work up a patient this week. It requires six steps, give or take. First, I ask them about their medical history and if there have been any recent hospitalizations or anything like that (they usually say no thankfully). Then, I make sure they are not allergic to our medications, because that would be bad. Following that, I test their vision with and without glasses, so they read letters projected in front of them. I then give them a little card with a grid and a black dot in the center. The patient looks at the black dot and they tell me if the grid lines are straight or wavy/crooked. After that, I do what is called a confrontation, which is where they tell me how many fingers I am holding up using their peripheral vision. The next two steps require a light, so I grab a handheld flashlight basically, and use it to test their eye movement by having them follow my finger. It’s basically an ET moment because my finger is lit up form the flashlight. Lastly, I check their pupils to make sure they are contracting properly when exposed to light.


Thanks for reading and see you guys next week!

26 comments:

  1. Hi Brent!

    I'm glad to hear how well your project is progressing! Also, its super cool that you get to be so hands-on with the patients! Do you know what you are thinking about doing as your final project? Looking forward to next weeks post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My final product is the paper that I will write. I already have a draft luckily.

      Delete
  2. hello! it's interesting to see how you are able to interact with the patients. my only question is what is the purpose for the six steps you test of patients? thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every patient needs to be worked up before they see the doctor. The six steps are what the technicians do to work up that patient.

      Delete
  3. Hey Brent! Its really interesting and cool how you get to do these different eye tests! It seems like a cool thing to learn! Are you going to include the two new processes you mentioned in your research?? Again great post here and can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will not include it in the research itself, since that is a real study. Also, they do not really care about what a technician does, since they already know. I will include it in my SP presentation though.

      Delete
  4. Hey Brent! It's really nice to see that you're getting hands-on experience with the patients, and that you're well liked. Are the two new processes that you learned about important for your data analysis? I can't wait to hear more next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not important to the study because they are outside the scope of it.

      Delete
  5. Hi, Brent!! Are there any emergencies that occur in the workplace? Week 9 sounds really interesting and I hope your 10th week goes well too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people come in with eye injuries and things like that, but it usually is a calm and emergency-free environment outside of that.

      Delete
  6. Hey Brent! Your ability to interact with the patients is pretty neat. Getting that hands-on experience must really help. I hope your last couple weeks will go well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Brent! I am glad the patients like you. My question is that what does it mean to see straight or wavy with card grid with the black dot? Hope the last weeks go well as well. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The straight lines mean a healthy macula, whereas curvy lines denote macular degeneration.

      Delete
  8. Hi Brent! The final stages of your project seem interesting and I am excited to see your final post. What is a visual field?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read my post for Week 7 and it will tell you.

      Delete
  9. Hey Brent !!!! It's exciting to hear about the final stages of your project are coming along very neatly. It's cool that you are increasing your interaction with the patients!!! Can't wait till next weeks post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Brent! It's good to hear the final stages of your project are coming along well. It must be really interesting to get hands-on experience with patients. I'm looking forward to seeing your final post next week. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Brent! I love reading your posts; you have a lot of passion for your work. I'm glad your project is wrapping up nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Brent! Great to see how your research is coming along. Out of curiosity, how did you find out what your patients were allergic to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The patients had to tell us what they were allergic to, but I am not entirely sure about that.

      Delete
  13. Hi Brent! Your week sounds very busy! Do you know what the new procedures are for? Are they procedures that glaucoma patients often go through?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The new procedures are other glaucoma surgeries that are gaining popularity slowly. From what I have heard, they work better than the iStent, which is good!

      Delete