Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Brent Armistead

This is me :)
Hello all!

Welcome to my first blog post! I will quickly go over a little bit about who I am, my interests, and my Senior Project: Seeing Eye to i, Using the iStent to Combat Glaucoma.

I am a senior at BASIS Scottsdale, a very math-and-science-focused school. I have taken many Biology, Chemistry, and Physics classes, and these are the ones that interest me greatly. Also, Psychology has been another interesting class, and I plan to major in it (though I am young and my mind will probably change). I always have loved studying people, just testing people’s reactions and always trying to understand their motives. With the Psychology class, it gives me the official terms for the trends and behaviors that I have observed throughout my life.

Outside of school, my favorite hobbies are basketball, karate, and sleeping. Last year, I joined the Varsity Basketball team (I am now the starting center), and it has been a blast ever since. 
I'm working on dunking like this though that will take a while
Karate has always been a passion, and I now pass on my knowledge to the little ones by teaching the Youth and Little Warriors classes at my karate studio. Sleeping is just wonderful. We all know this.
 
I wish this was me
As for my project, it is a continuation of ophthalmic research. My project has been going on since the summer before my junior year, so around two years. I am working with Dr. Yuri McKee at Swagel-Wooton-Hiatt Eye Center to test if a new device can cure Glaucoma. This device is called the iStent, and it is implanted in the eye during cataract surgery to act as an artificial drain. Since Glaucoma is an unhealthy level of intraocular pressure, the iStent helps to tackle this issue head on, hopefully giving us a cure to the largest cause of blindness. A unique aspect of this study is that we are comparing the iStent to a common Glaucoma surgery, the Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty (which is a mouthful, so we will call it SLT for short).

My role in this study, knowing that I cannot perform the surgeries, is data analysis and statistics. With guidance from Dr. McKee, I will compile all the data points, ranging from intraocular pressure before and after the surgery, number of medications used before and after, and best-corrected visual acuity before and after. After that, I will put all this data into a handy-dandy Excel spreadsheet and run some basic statistical analyses on it. With this information, and some pretty graphs, we can then deduce if the iStent truly works, and how it compares to the SLT, while also accounting for the effect of both surgeries on one eye.

I hope you are as excited as I am to learn about the iStent, and I hope you come back each week to see how its all going!

Make sure to subscribe to keep an i on my blog!

Site Website: http://www.swhec.com

25 comments:

  1. Brent,

    I really enjoyed your first blog post! Your project seems really exciting and interesting, and I am looking forward to seeing your project's results. I do not have any pressing comments at this time, seeing as this is basically an intro to your work and background. Good work, I look forward to seeing more!

    - JW

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cool project Brent! I agree with you that sleeping is the best thing in the universe and, as a sleep-deprived BASIS student, I hope to hear more about it. In terms of your actual project (because that is what I am supposed to be commenting about), I'm curious about how exactly this device works. You mentioned that iStent can cure glaucoma by targeting high intraocular pressures, but how does it account for other aspects of glaucoma that cause vision loss? From everything you said, this device seems like a great way to treat glaucoma. I'm excited to see where your research goes in the next few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! As for your question, Glaucoma is the condition of increased intraocular pressure; it's just unhealthy pressure levels in the eye. I will be looking forward to more good questions!

      Delete
  3. This is fascinating! I love science, but I've mostly focused on zoology, so I'm very excited to follow your journey and learn more about eyes, glaucoma, and the iStent. I don't really have any questions at this time, because I don't think I know enough to ask questions, but I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brent!

    The gif of the sleeping baby is probably one of my all time favorite gifs. Anyways, I'm really interested in following your research especially since you have been working on it for so long! Do you ever get to observe any of the surgeries? Can't wait to see where your research goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I actually get to see all of Dr. McKee's surgeries, including all laser and cataract surgeries. So I get to jump around a little bit too in the surgery world, which is cool. I'll keep you posted!

      Delete
  5. Hey Brent! Great first blog post! I really enjoyed it, especially the Lebron dunk! With regards to your project, I am really excited to see where your research takes you. The possibility of curing the leading cause of blindness is really fascinating! Hope to hear more on your progress and project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! It's going to be good. Be ready.

      Delete
  6. Hi Brent!
    Your project really caught my interest! I have been going through some really crazy stuff with my eye this past year and to see your doing your work on the same topic is really amazing to me. I have been to the opthamologist hundreds of times and the biology of the eye is really fascinating. I really hope your research takes you far. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I'm glad I can give you some insight on something that affects you daily! Hope what I learn helps!

      Delete
  7. Hello Brent! As i have found myself to be very fascinated with ophthalmology and the eyes, i'm extremely excited to see that your project focuses on blindness and how to cure it. I'm thrilled to see your progress and how the IStent can decrease the pressure compared to the SLT. I don't have any questions for you for now but i wish you good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! Hope I can fuel your future interests!

      Delete
  8. Hi Brent! This project is very interesting and I find it fascinating how human technology and statistics can cure a disease. This project will also save millions of lives and it will be interesting to see how your analysis of research can help the world. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! Also, this cures blindness, but sadly, it does not save lives. I will do my best with the life-saving though.

      Delete
  9. Hey Brent! I myself have a vested interest in science and the fact that your project is a practical application of it is very exciting! I'm looking forward to see where your analysis takes you and the results you gain in the coming time. Good luck and I hope to read more on your efforts in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! I will keep you posted. Make sure to keep an eye on my blog!

      Delete
  10. Hi, Brent. I am interested in your project. It is cool to see how human technology can have such a large impact on medicine. This project can really help save lives around the world. I am looking foward to your future posts. Jack Flaherty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! Make sure to keep an eye on my blog!

      Delete
  11. Hi Brent,
    Sorry for the delayed response. I think your integration of scientific technology with medicine not only has a pragmatic purpose, but a global importance. I am very excited to see what your project brings not only in research, but for people around the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I will keep you posted on my results!

      Delete
  12. Thank you for a nice post.
    Buy careprost for glaucoma disease treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice informative post.Motivation to keep moving ahead with your dreams.Thank you for sharing this post.
    for more information please visit us at:
    Motivational Speakers in india 

    ReplyDelete
  14. This blog website is pretty cool! How was it made ! Contact us

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing. I like and appreciate your idea of sharing such information with us.. download instagram stories

    ReplyDelete