Friday, March 24, 2017

Week 7

Hello all!

Another week of the senior project is over... Time is flying by! It's already week 7!!!

Anyway, enough of me ranting about how our time is short. Allow me to try to make the most of it :)

My boy Gary Vee... follow him for some good motivation 

I had another week of working basically. I got started on freshening up the data, specifically the average pre-operation IOP. When I originally took the data, I did not standardize the pressures I took. Some patients had data all the way out to ten years before, and some had next to nothing. Me being silly old me, I just took what I could. Dr. McKee roasted me and said that that must have been “a lot of work.” He recommended using either six months prior or a year prior as a time frame, so I picked six months. It gets a little tricky sometimes when people’s surgeries are in different months, so the time frame shifts along with it. That took some getting used to. But I am about halfway done with that, and I will start getting the rest of the data after that. We are currently in the original six-month period of February through June, so I will get the rest of the 24 month follow up as time goes on (and I know what you are thinking… yes even past the senior project deadlines).

The most recent breakthrough in my job is that I am now doing visual fields, which test a patient’s peripheral vision. They put their chin in a big grey machine with a white spherical interior. Lights flash at them while they stare at a yellow dot in the center, and they click a button each time they see a light. A doctor can then look at the results and decipher if the optic nerve is being damaged, i.e. our old friend glaucoma.
 
Me
What I really have come to enjoy is spending time with the other technicians. When we get some downtime, there is a corner or a break room that all the techs can stand or sit and relax. Of course, I am horribly outnumbered by women (only three men besides the doctors work in the entire building). Somehow, though, I manage to survive. They say I am sassy, and I am proud of that title. They seem to find me fairly entertaining too, whether it’s my ridiculous fake dunks of charts onto tables or my absurdly large Hydro Flask. But everyone overall is really sweet and nice and we have a lot of fun. We all also love taking care of our patients, so the office has a great vibe to it :)


That’s all for this week! Thanks for reading, and see you next week!

25 comments:

  1. Hi Brent!

    It seems like you're making good progress on your data analysis! I don't have any pressing questions right now but I look forward to seeing how the rest of your research progresses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brent! Loved the dunking gif! Your post seems really interesting and its great that you're able to progress on your research. With the time frame, why did you choose six months over one year?? Again great post! Can't wait to see where your data takes you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chose six months because I thought it would be a better representation of the heightened pressure.

      Delete
  3. Hi Brent! Your research seems to be going pretty well. Has everything gone as you expected it would? Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly did not have any expectations besides that the stent would work. So I guess all my expectations were realized.

      Delete
  4. Hey Brent! It looks like you are putting in the work in all aspects: school, basketball, and work. Your posts are always interesting and engaging to read, because of the constant updates and humor that goes along with the serious research that is potentially life changing. And also what exactly is the average pre-occupation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pre-operation IOP is the pressure before surgery.

      Delete
  5. Hello Brent! It's great to see that you're still getting work done as per usual. Is there a specific test group of results that the doctors look at and compare to see how the current patient's optic nerve is being damaged? I'm also loving the gifs; they almost always fit perfectly with what's happening and I find it hilarious. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The OCT scans the nerve so that the doctors can look at it, if that's what you mean.

      Delete
  6. Hi Brent! Your research has come a long way and seems to be going pretty well. As always, your posts are interesting to read, and I especially enjoy the gifs. I'm looking forward to next week's post and good luck with your future research. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Brent! It seems like you had a good week. I don't actually have any questions for you right now but I wish you luck in freshening up all that data!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brent! Your blog has been very interesting, I especially like cumulative research you are doing. Is damage to the optic nerve progressive or a one time thing? I will be waiting for next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens over the course of a patient's life, but usually the most damage starts occurring later in life.

      Delete
  9. Hi! Seems like Dr. McKee is a cool person. Testing people's peripherals sounds really fun actually. Hope you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello! thanks for the funny gifs! why did you chose six months over a year and how would it affect your data? also, how else does testing the visual fields help you expand further in your service project? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I chose six months because I thought it would be a better representation of the heightened pressure. Visual fields are the actual test to see if a patient is losing peripheral vision from glaucoma.

      Delete
  11. Hey Brent!!! Your research has come a long way and I ant wait to see where this leads you next week!!! Cant wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is awesome!! I can't wait to read about next week's blog post!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey! Love the awesome gifs! Would it have affected your results if you had chosen the one year prior time period rather than 6 months timeframe? Can't wait for your next blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could have slightly, but some patients don't even have IOP readings from a year before. So it could make a difference for those patients, but overall I doubt it.

      Delete