Friday, March 10, 2017

Week 5

Hey guys!

This week I finished data analysis (though I may go back and get more patients from the database). With some help from the legendary Yash Pershad (GO TREE) and Mr. Peacher, I ran some statistics. I took the difference between the pre-operative pressures and the average month 24 (two years) pressures and then took the p value of that. Both the SLT and the iStent had small p values (p<0.01), which means the difference was not based on chance. I also used a t test to see if there is a statistically significant difference between the pressures of the iStent and the SLT at each time point. Interestingly enough, the only times that had a statistically significant difference were Months 6, 18, and 24.  Coincidentally, these were all the time points that I was going to use. Before my second round of data input, month 6 was the time I would have used. After that, I thought since not all the patients have reached the two-year mark, we would use the month 18 data. After asking Dr. McKee about it, he said we would still use month 24 as our official time point. So that's what I'm doing. 

"The ceiling is the roof"

Another aspect of data analysis was making pretty graphs. I made three, one for iStent, one for SLT, and one with both. The individual graphs had one line for the one-intervention patients, which means they only had the one surgery and nothing else. So far, 63 SLT patients and 20 iStent patients fall under this category. The other line on the graphs was for the patients with multiple interventions, so they had some other surgery during the two-year period. Naturally, these patients had higher pressures than the one-intervention patients. The graph with both iStent and SLT is to visually show the difference between the surgeries' effects. It is easy to see that the patients from both groups start at a very similar pressure, and end at a significantly different level (as shown by the t test). 

True Stats at work


Sorry for the boring stats stuff. I will mend the situation with a funny story about my dad. His name is Drew, and he is a doctor too (initially my inspiration to become a doctor myself). During his first year of residency, he lived with another doctor named Jody, who I happened to stay with for a week recently (hence me knowing this story). One day, they were out playing catch with a football in a field. A girl and her dog are walking by Drew, and he tells Jody to overthrow it. Side note: Drew is a single man and very, very, very confident, so he loves talking to the ladies. So Jody overthrows him, and this makes the dog go crazy. Its barking and pulling at the leash, and the girl yells, “Heel! Heel!” Drew, being Drew, turns to her, and with a straight face says, “That’s what I do ma’am. I’m a doctor.” Jody regretfully mentioned that she started talking to him after that, and even giggled at his dumb joke. If you ever wonder where I get my dumb humor from, blame it on my dad J.

Thanks for reading! See you next week!

20 comments:

  1. hi! i'm glad you were able to share your data analysis about the comparison of the two instruments through graphs and statistics. i was wondering after you were able to compare them with the graphs, which one would you conclude to have more negative effects on the patients? thanks for keeping us updated and for the funny story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not look at the negative effects on the patients. The study was only directed towards the effect each procedure had on the pressure.

      Delete
  2. Hey Brent! Great post here and its really cool how you got to see the differences between iStent and SLT. With regards to your analysis, can you see any potential conclusions regarding their differences and how it relates to combatting glaucoma? Again great post and can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, there are fewer patients then we like, but we will get more soon. The iStent seems to be more effective over the course of two years.

      Delete
  3. Hi! Your research has brought you so far. Learning about the iStent and SLT seems really interesting. Which one would you conclude to be more successful in the end? Thank you for the updates :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The data shows that the iStent is more effective over a two-year period.

      Delete
  4. Hi Brent. Its very interesting to compare the SLT and the iStent, regarding which is more effective. As always I really enjoyed your blog and I'm looking forward to reading next week's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Brent! It's amazing to see that your analysis is lining up perfectly with your predicted time points. Why is it that only twenty iStent patients fall into the one-intervention category? I hope the rest of your research keeps yielding results, and I can't wait to see what else you discover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question. Not all of the patients have reached the two-year mark so we do not have a two year follow up for those patients yet. We will get them soon since the "crunch time" ends in June. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  6. Hello Brent. First of all your story at the end made me laugh. But now more seriously, I like your discussion of other things which shows the comparison to the iStent, because it presents me with all of the knowledge available and trust me I need to know more to fully understand something. I have a quick question about what exactly the SLT is and what connection it has to Glaucoma?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I explained it in my first few posts, but its a laser that helps aqueous humor flow out of the eye.

      Delete
  7. Greetings Brent! Great to see you have made made progress with your data, and it's even better to see BASIS peers helping you along the way. I really like how you are particular with time, and really thinking through the data itself. I am beyond excited to see what next week will yield!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Brent!! Im glad you incorporated some school peers into your research. Yah Pershad is a very kind and intellectual person. Mr. Peacher definitely adds some value to your project and help with the Statistics side of your project. Great blog post this week!!Q

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really cool! The graphs and statistics are really informative!! Is there a limit
    to how much surgery one could get??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending on the procedure, a patients could get more than one. Only one iStent can be put in each eye, but the SLT can be performed numerous times.

      Delete
  10. Hi Brent! This is some interesting information. Based on the graphs you made and the analysis you've conducted, would you say that the iStent and SLT would be effective if glaucoma patients used a combination of both?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually initially wanted to include a Both category in the study, but it became very complicated and beyond the scope of what we wanted to learn from the procedures. I do happen to know the results of it at six months, however, and the both category was less effective than the iStent alone category. This is just raw data from a separate study basically, but it is interesting to think about. Thanks for reading!

      Delete