Friday, February 24, 2017

Week 3


Just kidding. I do not actually see dead people. But I do see lots of people in the office, so I will start there this week!

On Tuesday, it was pretty much the same story. I watched cataract surgeries and followed Dr. McKee through all 16. I also got the chance to meet an amazing Anesthesiologist named Dr. Meernik. He is so cool and so down-to-earth and I really enjoyed talking to him. He was telling me about his sons, and they are geniuses. His oldest son, as a twelve year old, beat almost every team of trained adults in an international robotics and programming competition. His younger son is working with a professor to make fiber-optics (I think) more efficient, so he is balancing the materials with the temperature and making everything work in unison. It was amazing. The pride in Dr. Meernik's voice gave me chills.

I am finishing up the graphs for the paper, and all the data has been collected. So I got the chance to actually help in the office on Thursday. For most of the day, I transported patients from the Operating Room (OR) to the sitting area or the exit. In the OR, they were having a laser surgery on one of their eyes, either a YAG or an SLT. If they had an SLT, they needed to have a pressure check following the surgery, so I guided them to the waiting area so they could get that squared away. If the patient had a YAG, they were free to go, as long as they grabbed some state-of-the-art Swagel-Wootton-Hiatt eye center plastic sunglasses (assuming they did not have any of their own stylish sunglasses). I transported around 75 patients to their respective locations.

Me

For the other part of the day, I learned to be a technician. Being a tech is really hard. Not gonna lie. There are so many tests and so much information to put into the database that I really struggled to keep up. But the tech I was shadowing, Joanna, was really cool. We understood each other's humor, and were exchanging jokes from the moment we met. She tried to teach me all the stuff that I did, but I had a very hard time. She explained what she was doing step by step, and was very good at explaining, but it was so much to take in that I will need a lot more practice if I wanna be a technician. Hopefully that day is soon, but until then I will just keep transporting patients and helping in any way that I can.

Thanks for reading! See you next week!

15 comments:

  1. Hi Brent! I love following the blog. How is your research coming? Has your research question changed at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! it's super cool that you are able to watch the procudeure happen right in front of your eyes. Also when you were transporting the patients, did you notice any extreme side effects from the procedure? also how did the patients react to the procedures of laser eye surgery? thanks and keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brent!

    It sounds like you had a great week on site! It's good to hear that all the data has been collected! Are you just going to be writing the paper now? Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brent! Your site sounds really interesting! What was your favorite part of this week? Also with regards to your research, did the data or graphs show anything new, with respect to your research question? Again looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brent! Your work just gets cooler and cooler at your internship site. With your experience being a technician this week, what parts of the job were difficult specifically? Was the difficulty based more in understanding the work or doing it? It's cool that your internship is inspiring you to want to be a lab technician!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Brent! I am really excited to read your paper. And again I really enjoy your humor and wonderful description of your day. And it must be cool to see a real life hospital setting and to actually be involved in that intricate system. When you collected the data what are you collecting: eye illness, ways to cure them, side effects?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Brent! Sounds like you are really enjoying your work site. It seems really interesting. Good luck on your research in the future. I'm looking forward to reading your blog next week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Brent! Your work is really interesting and I can't wait for more! Keep doing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Brent! You mentioned that you learned to be a technician, and it was a more complex task. My questions is that are you gonna continue doing that work, and do you want to be a technician? Anyway, keep us updated, I am excited to read more about your work and good luck on your research!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Brent!! Your research and goals seem very interesting and could really help the future of glaucoma. I was interested to hear that you wanted to become a technician and how difficult of a task it actually is!! Can wait for next week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Brent! It's amazing to see the new things your learning through to your research. When you were transporting patients, was there a specific attire you were required to wear? Looking forward to future updates!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Brent! It's amazing to see the new things your learning through to your research. When you were transporting patients, was there a specific attire you were required to wear? Looking forward to future updates!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Brent! Glad you are enjoying your research and more importnantly making friends along the way. I am looking forward to seeing your research in the upcoming weeks. Good luck!

    -Vishesh Amin

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Brent, it's amazing to hear how interested and excited all your friends are about your research!

    ReplyDelete